Thursday 2 August 2012

Jelly Bean


Back in May we took a road trip down to meet our nephew, Evan, in Chicago. While he was still in his mama's belly they called him bean. Which is fitting considering they moved to Chicago, where they big bean is.
We decided to take the train from their place to downtown Chicago. After 3 failed attempts at figuring out the schedule, we decided to pack up the babies, and head to Milwaukee. We drove, which was nice, but pretty cramped in their SUV. On the way we stopped at the Jelly Belly Factory! I had no idea that there was one so close to where I was. As many of my family members know, I am a  huge fan of these little gourmet jelly beans. I discovered a new favourite at the sample bar - chili mango!

While we were there we got to go on a free tour!  Of the warehouse. We got to ride around in a train, and made stops to explain the jelly bean making process, as well as the history of the company.
Whitney, Evan and Kevin ready for a ride.
Really excited to start the tour!

We got these awesome hats, because everyone entering the warehouse has to have their hair covered. Either way I was so excited to be there. It was really cool to learn more about this delicious candy.

Carrying out my purchases to the car.
Once the tour was over we all got a sample bag of Jelly Bellies, and we left to shop till we drop in the gift shop. I was in heaven. We tried so many flavors at the tasting bar. They had the Harry Potter Every Flavor Beans, between the 4 of us we tried all of the really gross ones, like skunk, earthworm, earwax, pencil shavings.

The highlight of the trip would learning that they sell the "Belly Flops", which are the Jelly Bellies that are not perfect. You can buy 5, 2 bound bags for $27. So I loaded up. They do have a disclaimer stating that every flavor is in these bags, so there is a chance you can get some of the gross flavors as well.

     
Natalie helping carry the mass amount of Belly Flops. 

 I bought Natalie the cutest outfit while there, which is what reminded me of the trip there.
A picture from this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment